Warminster & District Amateur Swimming Club recognises the need to promote disability equality. Our aims are:-
- To identify and provide reasonable adjustments as appropriate for people with a disability
- To ensure that everyone can access as fully as possible all the opportunities provided by Warminster & District Amateur Swimming Club.
- To promote awareness within the club on disability issues.
- To provide training opportunities for swimmers with a disability.
- To increase knowledge of disability swimming.
We are aware of and recognise the ASA classification guide for disabled swimmers.
As a result of the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) all providers (including sport) have to take “Reasonable steps to remove, alter or provide reasonable means of avoiding physical features that make it impossible or unreasonably difficult for disabled people to use a service, or will need to offer the service by alternative means’ The DDA makes it unlawful to discriminate against disabled people. The Act uses a wide definition of a disabled person as having; ‘a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day to day duties.’ Discrimination against disabled staff, swimmers or volunteers can be of two ways:-
- Treating them less favourably than others.
- Failing to make a reasonable adjustment when they are placed at a “substantial disadvantage compared with other people for a reason relating to their disability.”
A reasonable adjustment would be any action that helps to alleviate a substantial disadvantage, this might include:
- Providing additional support, were appropriate.
- Seeking to support disabled swimmers e.g. make link with other clubs.
- Work within the context of the Long Term Athlete Development programme.
By adopting the policy Warminster & District Amateur Swimming Club recognises its responsibility to ensure that everyone, whether disabled or able bodied, staff, coaches, swimmers, and volunteers are treated equally and fairly.
Warminster & District ASC